Monday, October 4, 2010

Look Up...

Have you ever been standing in a long line or waiting for help and just decided to look at the ceiling? While I was standing in line at the finacial aid office something told me to look up. I noticed that the lamps had such an interesting design that it reminded me of the beach. Each lamp was unique and individually designed to look like a plant that grows in the ocean. I almost half expected to see a shadow of a fish swim by and it got me thinking about what was the purpose of putting such a design in an office that deals with finances and money? Is it supposed to take the student away from the everyday running around campus and have them dream of being on the beach? The first to come up with this clever design was Michelangelo who painted on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. This brings up one of the "big questions" of design. What is the purpose of having such a design in a building dealing with finances? Another question we can ask from this discovery (this is my first quarter at Davis...so sorry if this is old news to everyone) is why put designs on the ceiling?

No comments:

Post a Comment